Bellator 165 Results: Chandler and Henderson give Instant classic, MVP disappoints despite win
THE WAR BETWEEN Michael Chandler and Benson Henderson proved to be the major highlight of Bellator 165. The main event fight for the Bellator Lightweight championship lived up to the hype as the fighters went the distance.
Chandler had dominated throughout the early rounds and even landed a nasty suplex in the first. However, with so much energy burnt, Chandler slowed down in the later rounds where Henderson tried to take advantage. In the end, Chandler managed to retain the title via a split decision.
The much-hyped co-main event involving Michael Page and Fernando Gonzalez, however, fell flat. Both fighters had minimal amount of engagement throughout the fight and the fans were seen jeering towards the late rounds. Page took home the win via a decision, but it was an underwhelming one nevertheless.
Here are the complete results:
- Michael Chandler def. Benson Henderson via split decision (48-46, 46-48, 48-47) â€“ to retain lightweight title
- Michael Page def. Fernando Gonzalez via split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28)
- Adam Piccolotti def. Brandon Girtz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Keri-Anne Taylor-Melendez def. Sheila Padilla via knockout (punches) â€“ Round 1, 0:47
- Linton Vassell def. Francis Carmont via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-25)
Get the latest in the world of Sports, Teams, and Players! Free Delivery to your Inbox.