Shillong Lajong retains the Shillong Premier League 2015 Championship.

Shillong Lajong FC beat Royal Wahingdoh FC by 2-1 in the Final of the Shillong Premier League 2015 with goals from Bipin Singh and Rupert Nongrum. The Reds deservedly lifted the trophy today after being a dominant force throughout the Shillong Premier League 2015 Season this year. The Lads have scored a total of 32 goals in the SPL.

It was a rather slow start to the match for both teams who have worked so hard to be a part of the final match of the SPL. Lajong had the first couple of shots on target of the match within 5 minutes of the kick off. Lajong’s midfield look composed in the first half and did well to control the game and keep possession. Royal Wahingdoh FC conceded a lot of corners but Lajong could not capitalise on the opportunities. 

The Youngsters of Lajong were very creative and earned themselves the lead in the 14th minute after Samuel Lalmuanpuia put Bipin Singh through in front and the latter put the ball past the keeper. 

Royal Wahingdoh FC immediately fought back and got a chance at goal but fell safely into the hands of goalkeeper, Vishal Kaith. The match gained some pace after the goal with both teams playing at a higher tempo. Royal Wahingdoh were pressing forward on numerous occasions but Lajong’s defenders did well to keep the strikers at bay. The Royals had a great chance in the 30th minute but the strikers shot went just wide. Lajong who were losing rhythm for a while started to press forward for the second goal with midfielder Jacob delivering good long passes from the centre. The first half ended with just one  goal scored by Lajong.

Lajong started the second half swiftly earning a corner in the first attacking play. In the 52nd minute, Lajong’s custodian made a mistake in throwing the ball to Royal Wahingdoh Forward, Nagen Tamang, who then lobbed the ball over the keeper, thereby earning the equaliser. The Royals were upbeat after the equaliser with the fans inspiring their team to emerge victorious. 

As the hour mark passed, both teams were attacking well in search of the lead. The game became more intense as the forwards were eager to score while the defenders were very careful not to concede. Normal time whistle was blown as the scores were all level with one goal a piece.

Related Post