Bellator 180 Results: Sonnen dominates Silva, Mitrione drops Fedor
BELLATOR 180 turned out to be a roller coaster of emotions for the combat sports fans. The main event between Chael Sonnen and Wanderlei Silva ended in favour of Sonnen after he dominated his counterpart to earn a unanimous decision win. The win puts Sonnen back on track after his loss against Tito Ortiz.
Matt Mitrione provided the fans with a huge shock when he finished Fedor Emelianenko. After a double knockdown, Mitrione bounced back to finish Fedor at 1:14 mark in the first round. Mitrione is now on a three fight winning streak after moving to Bellator.
Douglas Lima kept the gold around his waist when he outclassed a debuting Lorenz Larkin. The fight between Brent Primus and Michael Chandler ended in a mishap as Chander injured his ankle. Primus was given the win at 2:22 mark of Round 1.
Phil Davis and Ryan Bader fought for the Light Heavyweight championship in a featured fight on the prelims and the duo delivered big time. Bader edged out Davis via a split decision to take home the gold after getting two 49-46s and a 48-47 on the scorecard.
Aaron Pico, who was considered to be the most hyped MMA prospected heading to Bellator NYC suffered an embarrassing loss at the hands of Zach Freeman. Freeman secured the win in just 24 seconds via submission.
Another impressive performance of came from Heather Hardy. Hardy made her MMA debut with an undefeated record in boxing and registered a TKO win.
- Chael Sonnen def. Wanderlei Silva via unanimous decision
- Matt Mitrione def. Fedor Emelianenko via first-round TKO (1:14)
- Brent Primus def. Michael Chandler via first-round TKO (doctor’s stoppage) (2:22)
- Zach Freeman def. Aaron Pico via submission (guillotine) (R1, 0:24)
- Douglas Lima def. Lorenz Larkin via unanimous decision
- Ryan Bader def. Phil Davis via split decision (live blog)
- James Gallagher def. Chinzo Machida via submission (RNC) (1st, 2:22)
- Neiman Gracie def. Dave Marfone via submission (RNC) (2nd, 2:27)
- Heather Hardy def. Alice Yauger via third-round TKO (4:47)
- Ryan Couture def. Haim Gozali via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27 x3)
- Anthony Giacchina def. Jerome Mickle via submission (rear-naked choke) (R3, 3:40)
- Hugh McKenna def. John Salgado via submission (kimura) (R1, 4:06)
- Matt Rizzo def. Sergio da Silva via submission (arm-triangle choke) (R3, 3:48)
- Bradley Desir def. Nate Grebb via first-round KO (2:54)
Get the latest in the world of Sports, Teams, and Players! Free Delivery to your Inbox.